The Okaloosa County Title I Pre-K program is dedicated to providing a developmentally appropriate program for young children. This program is designed to provide a compatible environment, adult interaction and active learning experiences that aid your children in developing the skills, habits, and attitudes that contribute to an achievement-filled school career and successful life.
Space in the Pre-K program is limited, due to high demand.
The Title I Pre-K Program is designed for children four years old on or before 1 September of the school year. Children must currently reside in Florida. Qualification for participation in the program is based on developmental and academic need. Income is not a factor for qualification.
Children attend the program for 180 days, following the same school year calendar as regular grade school. Attendance is required and the same regulations apply to Pre-K as those for regular grades. Children may participate in the breakfast and lunch programs at their school. Free and Reduced Lunch applications will be available to parents once registration is complete.
Parents or legal guardians may apply for a VPK certificate for their child online starting January 1st at https://familyservices.floridaearlylearning.com. Parents may also apply online or at one of the kiosks in the Shalimar Office lobby during normal business hours. To be eligible, children must live in Florida and be 4 years old on or before Sept. 1 of the current school year. Parents whose children are born between Feb. 2 and Sept. 1 can postpone enrolling their 4-year-old until the following year when their child is 5. Parents can choose from different educational settings and various program options. Private child care centers, public schools and specialized instructional services providers offer VPK.
Early Learning Coalition
Monday through Thursday 7:30am-5pm, Friday 7:30am-1:30pm
1130 N. Eglin Parkway, Shalimar, FL. 32579
Parents/guardians MUST provide ONE document from EACH of the two categories below to be issued a certificate for their child:
1. Proof of Child's Date of Birth
- Official birth certificate or record (The Souvenir Certificate issued by the hospital is not acceptable.)
- A current Florida shot/immunization record indicating the date of birth signed by a public health officer or licensed practicing physician (issued at the Health Department)
- A valid passport
- A valid dependent ID Card
2. Proof of Florida Residency
- Valid Florida Driver's License or Florida Identification card with physical address (P.O. Boxes are not acceptable.)
- Utility bill with name and current physical address (May not be older than 12 months. May not be bank statements, cell phone/credit card/insurance bills/statements.)
- Pay stub with name and current physical address (May not be older than 12 months.)
- Property tax assessment showing homestead exemption
- Current residential lease with name, current address, and Landlord's and Parent's signatures
- Military orders (Military PCS to Florida must be within the past 12 months.)
- the ELC VPK Proof of Residency Form (must be notarized)
Parents/guardians who cannot provide the above documentation may contact the ELC for an alternate list of acceptable forms of documentation, prior to starting their online application. 850.833.3627.
Register through the Florida Division of Early Learning Family Portal:
Need more info? Reach out for local support here: https://bit.ly/ELCOffices or contact the Okaloosa County School District Title I VPK Coordinator Debbie Haan at 850.689.7211.