Elected 2018 - 1st Term ends 2022
Linda Evanchyk was elected to the Okaloosa County School Board in August 2018. She retired in 2017 after being an award-winning classroom teacher for 38 years. Linda is a product of the Okaloosa County School District attending elementary, middle and high schools, graduating from Choctawhatchee High School in 1974.
Master of Arts: Communication Arts, University of West Florida
Bachelor of Arts: Communication Arts, University of West Florida
Holds an active Florida Teaching Certificate in English (grades 6-12), Journalism (grades 6-12), Educational Media (grades Pre K-12), and is endorsed in English for Speakers of Other Languages
One of the first teachers in Okaloosa County to attain a National Board Teaching Certificate
Designated a Master Journalism Educator from the National Journalism Education Association
Experience in Education
- Taught English and Journalism at Choctawhatchee High School
- Taught English and Journalism at Raines High School, Jacksonville, Florida
- Northwest Florida State College - adjunct teacher for the Veterans Upward Bound Program
- Mentor for beginning teachers
Accolades and Awards
- Inducted into the Choctawhatchee High School Hall of Fame, 2018
- Named a Distinguished Alumnus, UWF's 50th Anniversary, 2017
- Inducted into the Okaloosa County Women's Hall of Fame, 2016
- Received the National Journalism Education Association Medal of Merit, 2016
- Inducted into the National Teacher Hall of Fame, 2010
- Florida Journalism Teacher of the Year, 1995 and 2009
- Teacher of the Year - Choctawhatchee High School (1988) and Raines High School (1983)
Projects as a Teacher
- Advised student publications (newspaper and yearbook) for over 30 years
- Wrote, designed, and produced a newsletter for the employees of the Okaloosa School District
- Coordinated the National Board Certified Teachers Program for 12 years
- Organized the Okaloosa Schools 100th Anniversary recognition, 2015
- Organized the Choctawhatchee High School 50th and 60th Anniversary Celebrations
- Was a member of the Kids Vote and Teens Vote Project
- Co-author of the book, "Those Who Teach Do More: Tributes to American Teachers"
- Shalimar Methodist Church
- Impact 100
- Emerald Coast American Business Women's Association
- Fort Walton Beach Woman's Club
- Greater Fort Walton Beach Chamber of Commerce
- Republican Women of Okaloosa Federated
- Okaloosa County Republican Executive Committee
- Republican Club of Okaloosa County
- Niceville Republican Women Federated
Linda is one of eight children born to the late Morris and Alice Patrick. Mr. Patrick was a veteran of the US Navy and the US Air Force. He retired from the Air Force and Civil Service at Eglin AFB. Mrs. Patrick worked in the Okaloosa County School District's Food Services program for 20 years.
Linda is married to Mike McMain, also a Choctawhatchee High School graduate. They first met as students at Pryor (Junior High) Middle School. Mike is a US Navy Reserves veteran who now works as a systems analyst. They have one fur baby, Rudy, a Boston Terrier.
Linda and Mike enjoy being involved in local school activities and attend many school-related events. They enjoy traveling and attending concerts. Mike is an avid golfer, and Linda is a freelance writer and a DIY home decorator.