District Holds Anne T Mitchell Senior Honors Assembly
The annual Academic Honors Program was established in 1975 by the Okaloosa County School Board at the suggestion of then-Board Member Anne T. Mitchell. The permanent theme “You Make Us So Proud”, exemplifies Mrs. Mitchell’s and the community’s admiration toward these fine young people.
Later, in recognition of Mrs. Mitchell’s commitment to recognizing academic excellence among our students, the awards assembly was named in her honor. Today the Anne T. Mitchell Academic Honors Assembly for Seniors is widely replicated by school districts throughout Florida. Students honored in this assembly are receiving the most prestigious accolades in our county school system.
The Okaloosa County School District shares pride in the qualities of leadership and dedication of these remarkable young people. Parents, your guidance, understanding, and love are so important in shaping the lives and molding the values of these accomplished scholars to whom we pay tribute tonight.
Peggy Gorday Bruner Award
Liam Ordner, Niceville High School, (pictured on the far left above) was named the winner of the 2019 Peggy Gorday Bruner Award. This award is presented to the most outstanding academic scholar among all of the county’s graduating classes. The following students were also nominated for this award:
- Olivia Hurley – Baker School
- Frank Daldine – Choctawhatchee High School
- Weston Tew – Crestview High School
- Josie Shelton – Fort Walton Beach High School
- Laney Fugate – Laurel Hill School
Congratulations parents, family members, and students!
Special thanks to the following for making this evening so special:
- Northwest Florida State College
- Mattie Kelly Arts Center
- Chef David Mason and the Niceville High School Culinary Arts Students
- Hank Phillips, Band Director, and the Pryor Middle School Jazz Band
- MSgt. Daniel Hensley, USAF, Ret., and the Niceville High School AFJROTC
- Stuart Campbell, Choral Director, and the Baker School Chorus
- Shelia Lightbourne, Assistant Superintendent, Curriculum and Instruction
- Steve Horton, Assistant Superintendent, Management Information Systems
- Paul McNeeley, School District ITV Coordinator
- Perry Rich, Print Shop Manager, and Staff
- Jan Crawford, School Board Secretary
- Mari McGowan, School Board Secretary, and Honors Assembly Coordinator
To see a photo gallery of this event, please visit the OCSD Facebook page.