|Sunshine Books||Teacher Recommended Reading|
The Media Center here at Meigs is a student-friendly place. It is open from 7:00 – 2:15 daily. Mrs. Hunt works hard to have all of the latest sought-after books in the collection. There is even a suggestion box for requests if students are looking for a special book that is not in the library. There are 10 computers in the Media Center for student use. They are used for research, word processing, printing of documents, and searching for books.
The Media Center holds 2 Book Fairs a year, one in the fall and one in the spring, usually after state testing. This is a wonderful opportunity for parents and grandparents to shop with their students. We use profits from the Book Fairs by purchasing new books for the teachers and the Media Center and also for equipment and or supplies for student and teacher use.
Mrs. Hunt is always looking for parent volunteers to help in the Media Center. You must have a current volunteer form turned in. You can contact her at 833-4301 ext 1234 if you are interested. There is always something going on and plenty of work to do, just give her a call, she would appreciate it a lot.
Sunshine State Books:
The nominees for the Sunshine State Young Readers Award are in! Check out the list for 6th to 8th grades below.
All Fall Down by Ally Carter Grace
Blakely’s life was turned upside down the night her mother was murdered. Grace believes the scarred man who killed her mother is lurking somewhere on Embassy Row, her new home in the country of Adria. She and her new friends set out to find him and stop another murder from happening. But will it cost her everything? Will Grace find somebody to listen to her before it’s too late?
Bot Wars by J.V. Kade
Aiden (Trout) misses his dad whose been missing since the end of the Bot Wars. That conflict, between the increasingly advanced robots who were demanding rights and the humans who owned them, has left the United Districts in dire straits. His older brother won’t answer his questions, so he decides to post a video asking for information. It goes viral and now his brother is missing and Trout’s a wanted fugitive. Nothing makes sense any more and Trout doesn’t know who to trust.
The Crossover by Kwame Alexander
Using riffs from concrete poetry, hip-hop and jazz, this is the verse story of twins Josh and Jordan Bell. Both boys dominate the basketball court, and Josh is also a master of rhythm and rhyme. Their family bond is strong. Things change when Jordan meets a new girl and dad refuses to confront his health problems. Josh finds himself left in a game he no longer feels comfortable playing without his teammate and coach by his side.
Echo by Pam Munoz Ryan
The novel, introduced with the fairytale-like story of Otto and the prophecy of a harmonica, transitions to the lives of Friedrich in WWII Germany, Mike, an orphan in 1935 Great Depression Pennsylvania, and Ivy on the WWII homefront in 1942 California all impacted by the history of their times, a harmonica, and the power of music.
Frenzy by Robert Lettrick
Frenzy is a fast paced thrilling story with an apocalyptic feel. Heath and his friends are left to defend themselves and survive a ravenous disease that has taken over the surrounding wild animals that live in the forest of Camp Harmony. The summer camp residents are forced to turn to one other and remain alive through the FRENZY!
The Honest Truth by Dan Gemeinhart
Mark leaves home with only two things: a duffel bag and his dog, Beau. He is determined to fulfill his lifelong dream of climbing Mount Ranier. But, Mark is sick, and he’s sick and tired of the treatments he has to receive for his illness. The story of Mark’s journey is told alternately from Mark’s point of view, and that of his best friend, Jessie, who’s been sworn to secrecy about Mark’s whereabouts.
Insignia by S.J. Kincaid
When fourteen year old Tom first enters an elite military division during the middle of WWIII, his biggest achievement is his prowess at virtual reality games, his killer instinct in gambling and a spelling bee he lied about winning. But this may just be the perfect combination to win the war… if he agrees to submit to the unique and top secret conditions of becoming a space-age warrior. Tom has always wanted to be someone important. But at what cost?
The Luck Uglies by Paul Durham
Rye O’Chanter tries her best to follow the house rules, but mysterious things are happening in the Village Drowning. On the night of the Black Moon, Rye goes out to catch her cat and has a frightening encounter with a supposedly extinct Bog Noblin. Rye begins to unravel the secrets that she’s been told about the village legends and the notorious society called the Luck Uglies.
The Neptune Project by Polly Holyoke
In this dystopian adventure, the government is forcing citizens to leave the coasts to move inland to work in labor camps. Nere, who has always loved the water, and can communicate with dolphins, finds out that she and others have been genetically mutated to be able to breathe underwater. With danger following at every turn, will the Neptune Children escape the government’s clutches and begin a new human colony in the ocean as they were designed to do?
Nickel Bay Nick by Dean Pitchford
The town of Nickel Bay has given up hope. Nickel Bay Nick a local good Samaritan who hides hundred-dollar bills around town each Christmas season has abandoned them. Sam Brattle is feeling the abandonment more than others. His dad’s bakery is on the brink of bankruptcy, his mother has a new family and he has fallen in with the wrong crowd. But then, one night changes Sam’s life forever...
The Sinister Sweetness of Splendid Academy by Nikki Loftin
Splendid Academy, a new school in Lorelei’s neighborhood, almost seems too good to be true. With a fantastic playground, gourmet food, and optional homework, this school seems like every kid’s dream! That is, until Lorelei discovers that the school is hiding a sinister secret in this Hansel and Gretel twist.
The Summer I Saved the World in 65 Days by Michele Weber Hurwitz
Thirteen-year-old Nina begins her summer vacation by doing a random act of kindness for a neighbor. When she sees how well received this kind gesture is, she decides to spend her summer vacation secretly doing 64 more good deeds for her neighbors, friends and family (one good deed for every day of vacation). Will her random acts of kindness change the world or backfire in ways she never dreamed?
The Tapper Twins Go To War (With Each Other) by Geoff Rodkey
No one can agree on how the war between twelve year old twins Claudia and Reese Tapper began, but...IT.IS.ON! Claudia and Reese both try to out-prank, outsmart and out-embarrass each other in this hilarious tale of the love/hate relationship between siblings.
Turn Left at the Cow by Lisa Bullard
Thirteen-year-old Trav heads to rural Minnesota to uncover the mystery of his deceased dad. When he learns of an unsolved bank robbery and that his father is connected to it, Trav sets out to unravel the mystery and finds more than he expected.
The Worst Class Trip Ever by Dave Barry
Who doesn’t love an overnight field trip? When Wyatt and his class fly from Miami to Washington D.C., Wyatt’s best friend Matt suspects two passengers on the plane are up to no good. Determined to stop them, Wyatt and his friends find themselves in a world of trouble and a chase through the streets of the nation’s capital. With each passing moment the stakes get higher as the friends dodge bad guys, the secret service, and their teacher.
- Running Out of Time, Margaret Peterson Haddix
- Flush, Carl Hiaasen
- Code Talker, Joseph Bruchac
- Treasure Island, Robert Louis Stevenson
- Hatchet, Gary Paulsen
- The River, Gary Paulsen
- Tuck Everlasting, Natalie Babbitt
- Where the Red Fern Grows, Wilson Rawls
- Daniel’s Story, Carol Matas
- Matilda, Roald Dahl
- The Sign of the Beaver, Elizabeth George Speare
- M.C. Higgins the Great, Virginia Hamilton
- The Upstairs Room, Johanna Reiss
- Kingdom Keepers: Disney After Dark
- Twilight and New Moon, Stephanie Meyer
- Crispin, Avi
- Tangerine, Edward Bloor
- The Land Of Elyon Series, Patrick Carman
- A Week in the Woods, Andrew Clements
- Code Orange, Caroline Clooney
- Bud, Not Buddy, Christopher Paul Curtis
- Because of Winn Dixie, Kate DiCamillo
- The “Fire” Series, Chris D’ Lacey
- The Ranger’s Apprentice, John Flanagan
- Crossing Jordan, Adrian Fogelin
- My Brother’s Keeper, Adrian Fogelin
- Spiderwick Chronicles, Tony DiTerlizzi and Holly Black
- Inkspell, Inkdeath, Cornelia Funk
- Old Yeller, Fred Gipson
- Football Hero, Tim Green
- The “Among the Hidden” Series, Margaret Peterson Haddix
- Hoot, Carl Hiaason
- When Zachary Beaver Came to Town, Kimberly Willis Holt
- The “Warriors” Series, Erin Hunter
- Cracker, Cynthia Kadohata
- Diary of a Wimpy Kid Series, Jeff Kinney
- “On the Run” Series, Gordon Korman
- The “Guardians of GaHoole” Series, Kathryn Lasky
- Color Me Dark, Patricia C. McKissack
- Shiloh, Phyllis Reynolds Naylor
- The “Brian” Books, Gary Paulsen
- Harry Potter Series, J.K. Rowling
- Holes, Louis Sachar
- The Series of Unfortunate Events, Lemony Snicket
- The “Edge Chronicles” Series, Paul Stewart and Chris Riddell
- Flipped, Wendelin Van Draanen
- Drums, Girls and Dangerous Pie, Jordan Sonnenblick
- Frindle, Andrew Clements
- Milkweed, Jerry Spinelli
- Tangerine, Edward Bloor
- Loser, Jerry Spinelli
- Chocolate Fever, Robert Kimmel Smith
- Tale of Despereaux, Kate DiCamillo
- Miracle’s Boys, Jacqueline Woodson
- Fair Weather, Richard Peck
- Rules, Cynthia Lord
- Ruby Holler, Sharon Creech
- Whipping Boy, Sid Fleishman
- School Story, Andrew Clements
- Breadwinner, Devorah Ellis
- Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry, Mildred Taylor
- Esperanza Rising, Pam Munoz Ryan
- The Cay, Theodore Taylor
- Zen and the Art of Faking It, Jordan Sonnenblick
- Missing May, Cynthia Rylant
- Summer of the Swans, Betsy Byars
- Stone Fox, John Reynolds Gardiner
- Things Not Seen, Andrew Clements
- Summer On Wheels, Gary Soto
- Dogsong, Gary Paulsen
- Dragon’s Gate, Laurence Yep
- Ghost Sitter, Peni R Griffin
- Miracles on Maple Street, Virginia Sorensen
- Jip, His Story, Katherine Paterson
- Middle Moffat, Eleanor Estes